With the increasing popularity of electric bikes, it has become important to understand how you can protect your e-bike by investing in insurance for bike. Today, we will answer some common questions regarding electric bike insurance coverage and factors to consider when buying bike insurance online.
Electric Bike Insurance
An electric bike, also known as an e-bike, is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor that helps in propulsion. Compared to traditional bicycles, e-bikes offer increased speed and range for the same effort.
Is insurance for bikes necessary? If your electric bike has a speed limit of 25 km per hour and less than 250W power, then your vehicle may be exempt from the category. Otherwise, insurance is mandatory. In fact, a comprehensive electric bike insurance policy is highly recommended for enhanced coverage.
You can buy bike insurance online. Keep the following documents handy when buying a policy online.
- Passport size photos.
- Driver’s license.
- Details of previous insurance policies if any.
- Bank account details.
- Proof of identity and address.
Types of Electric Bike Insurance Plans
There are two types of insurance plans available for an electric bike:
- The third-party insurance plan is the most common category preferred by electric bike users. These plans provide coverage for third parties if they are injured or if their vehicle suffers damage in an accident involving your insured bike. However, the coverage is not applicable for the damages to your bike.
- Comprehensive insurance for bike is an expensive option compared to third-party insurance. However, it promises protection to your bike in the face of a mishap. In addition to third-party insurance benefits, a comprehensive plan covers damages caused to your bike. It also covers complete loss or theft of the bike.
Benefits of E-Bike Insurance
There are several reasons to opt for insurance for bike. Some of them are:
- Financial protection in the event of an accident or theft: Like any other vehicle, an e-bike is susceptible to accidents and theft. If you were involved in an accident or if your bike gets stolen, e-bike insurance can help cover repairs or replacement costs.
- Access to a network of qualified bike mechanics in the event of a breakdown: Most e-bike insurance policies offers access to a network of qualified bike mechanics. They can help you if your bike breaks down. This can be a valuable service if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere.
- Discounts on replacement parts and accessories: Many e-bike insurance policies offer discounts on replacement parts and accessories. This can save you money if your bike needs repairs or replacements.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that you’re covered in the event of an accident or theft gives you immense peace of mind.
What is Covered Under E-bike Insurance Plans?
Most insurance for bike covers:
- Road accidents: Your e-bike insurance policy will cover you for any bodily injuries and damages caused to your bike in the event of an accident.
- Theft: If your e-bike is stolen, your insurance policy will cover the cost of replacement or repair.
- Vandalism: If your e-bike is vandalized, your insurance policy will cover the cost of repairs.
- Fire: If your e-bike catches fire, your insurance policy will cover the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Natural disasters: If your e-bike is damaged in a natural disaster, your insurance policy will cover the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Repair and replacement costs: If your e-bike needs to be repaired or replaced, your insurance policy will cover the cost.
- Third-party liability: If you are found liable for damages caused to another person or their property, your insurance policy will cover the cost.
Raising A Claim
You invest in insurance for bike so that you can enjoy the benefits and make a claim in the event of an accident or some other mishap. Here’s how you can make a claim when needed.
- Inform your insurance company about the damage caused to the bike. It could be due to an accident or a natural calamity. The investigation or assistance process may vary based on the cause of the damage, therefore, make sure to tell them at the earliest.
- Spot the damages to the bike and take pictures of it as proof. This step would be helpful if you are claiming insurance for bike through an online process. Similarly, you may want to keep all the required documents handy. You will be expected to submit them along with their claim form.
- Once informed about the damages, the insurance company will send an inspector to inspect the damage and check if the policy covers it. Once the inspection is completed, the claim process will become faster. The insurance company will compensate for the expenses incurred in repairing or replacing the damages to the bike.
Overall, insurance for an electric bike is a great way to protect your investment and enjoy peace of mind when on the road. Research and compare policies before deciding on one. Remember, coverage and costs can vary significantly.
Maintaining e-bikes is important to keep them running smoothly and avoid potential hazards on the road. The repair and maintenance may weigh heavily on your pockets if you do not have an insurance policy. Therefore, buying an insurance policy for your e-bike is a smart financial decision.
Disclaimer: The above information is for illustrative purposes only. For more details, please refer to policy wordings and prospectus before concluding the sales.